As another unpredictable winter approaches, the Public Works
Department remains committed to providing the quickest, most
efficient response possible to snow and ice so that we have safe,
passable roads throughout Douglass Township. Every snowfall is
different, but rest assured that the Public Works Department is
fully prepared to meet any challenge.
Helpful Hints From the Public Works Department
- All vehicles should be removed from public streets after
accumulation of one inch or more of ice and snow, especially in
developments and cul-de-sacs.
- Please keep recycling bins and trash bags out of the right
- If possible, wait until the street is cleared before clearing
the end of your driveway or sidewalk.
- Please do not shovel or plow snow into the street. It is
illegal and poses a high-risk situation for everyone. If a
contractor plows your driveway, make sure he doesn't leave snow in
the street. Ultimately, it is your responsibility and could result
in a citation from the police department.
- If you have a fire hydrant near your house, feel free to
"adopt" it for the winter, helping to keep it clear and visible for
your safety and the safety of others.
- Use common sense and consideration. Under extreme conditions,
please stay home. Vehicles that get stuck block the road and slow
down our ability to do our job.
- Look out for snow removal equipment. Use caution when
approaching. Keep back farther than normal. Watch for sudden stops
and turns. Be visible in case a truck needs to back up.
- Use caution around an operating material spreader.
- When venturing out, be prepared and, above all, be safe!